By John Marciano
An encyclopedia of linguistic biographies: the witty, illustrated tales of the Earl of Sandwich, Charles Boycott, and different old figures greater often called phrases than humans.
Eponymous, adj. Giving one’s identify to anyone, position, or factor.
Anonymous, adj. Anonymous.
Anonyponymous, adj. Anonymous and eponymous.
The Earl of Sandwich, keen on salted pork and coupled slices of toast, came upon a singular technique to devour all of them jointly. Etienne de Silhouette, a former French finance minister, used to be so notoriously reasonable that his identify turned a byword for chintzy practices—such as substituting a darkened define for a formal painted portrait. either bequeathed their names to the language, yet neither guy is remembered.
In this shrewdpermanent and humorous publication, John Bemelmans Marciano illuminates the lives of those anonyponymous people. a type of encyclopedia of linguistic biographies, the ebook is prepared alphabetically, giving the tales of all people from Abu “algorithm” Al-Khwarizmi to count number Ferdinand von Zeppelin. in addition to them you'll locate the likes of Harry Shrapnel, Joseph-Ignace Guillotine, and lots of folks whose vernacular legacies have lengthy outlived their reminiscence.
Accented by means of fun line pics and brief etymological essays on matters like “superhero eponyms,” Anonyponymous is either a compendium of trivialities and a window into the interesting international of etymology. rigorously curated and unfailingly witty, this publication is either a lovely reward for language enthusiasts and a real excitement to read.
Read or Download Anonyponymous: The Forgotten People Behind Everyday Words PDF
Similar linguistics books
Le roi Louis-Philippe demanda un jour à Arago, directeur de l’Observatoire : « Entre nous, êtes-vous bien, sûr que cette magnifique étoile se nomme véritablement Sirius ? » Cette query pertinente, qui vaut aussi bien par exemple, pour le chien ou los angeles vertu, a été agitée pendant plusieurs siècles.
Книга Sara Says No! , Адаптированная аудиокнига - MacMillan, уровень-0 Sara Says No! , Адаптированная аудиокнига - MacMillan, уровень-0Книги English литература Автор: Norman Whitney Год издания: 2005 Формат: pdf Издат. :Macmillan Страниц: sixteen Размер: 14,78 мб Язык: Английский0 (голосов: zero) Оценка:Описание: all people in Middletown likes Mr Fruit, everyone other than his daughter, Sara.
This article combines a transparent presentation of grammar at an intermediate point with communicative perform. It offers guided perform of either shape and that means, for lecture room or self-study, and in addition deals a trying out programme for analysis and growth.
- Perspectives on Topicalization: The Case of Japanese WA
- From Conceptual Metaphor Theory to Cognitive Ethnolinguistics: Patterns of Imagery in Language (Studies in Language, Culture and Society)
- Niubi!: The Real Chinese You Were Never Taught in School
- What Painting Is: How to Think about Oil Painting, Using the Language of Alchemy
- You Too Can Speak English: An Oral Approach
Additional info for Anonyponymous: The Forgotten People Behind Everyday Words
Two Fìmәʹkwәˉ mәʹ bú Fìkō. ’ b. @Nyam ᷆ yε¯nì ēd6 ŋ ᷆ su᷇. ’ There is also evidence for the presence of a type of topicalization construction in Naki which can target, at least, subjects and objects. This construction involves a noun phrase at the left edge of the sentence associated with a resumptive pronoun Topic and focus fields in Naki closer to the verb. The examples in (16) contrast a sentence not making use of this construction, in (16a), with one making use of it, in (16b). These sentences were in free variation in an elicitation context.
Paper presented at the Tutzing Conference on Khoisan Studies, July 11–14, 1994. Güldemann, Tom and Rainer Vossen. 2000. Khoisan. ), 99–122. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Hagman, Roy S. 1977. Nama Hottentot grammar. Bloomington: Research Center for Language and Semiotic Studies, Indiana University. , Hunziker, Elisabeth and Helen C. Eaton. 2008. A description of the phonology of the Sandawe language. pdf (29 June, 2009). Kagaya, Ryohei. 1990. Jiyu˜ gojun gengo de no gojun seigen. Sandawe go no baai (Restriction on word order of free word order language – the case of the Sandawe language).
3) a. Kúm ábәˉm ādὲ kәˉ lu` ūnәˉ wә`. ’ 37 38 Jeff Good b. c. Kúm ábәˉm ūnәˉ wә´ ādὲ kәˉ lû. ’ Kúm ábәˉm lù ūnәˉ wә´ ādὲ kәˉ. ’ Presumably, the variant word orders in (3) encode different information structure relations among the object arguments. However, as they were produced in an elicitation context, this cannot easily be determined. Nevertheless, some indication that this may be the case comes from the fact that, as seen in (3b), the final third-person pronoun lû, glossed here as being “emphatic”, has a much more articulated tone contour when it is the sole postverbal argument than it does elsewhere, making it impressionistically quite prominent.
Anonyponymous: The Forgotten People Behind Everyday Words by John Marciano
- Download e-book for iPad: Philosophy of Science: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short by Samir Okasha
- Download PDF by Robert B. Louden: Kant's Impure Ethics: From Rational Beings to Human Beings